P.S. 5 Calendar
Talent Show act submissions are due today, Jan. 30th and Talent Show T-Shirts can be ordered until Feb. 14th.PTA Meeting Feb. 6th at PS 5, beginning at 9:30 AM.Please join our PS 5 Team in raising money for the American Heart Association http://www2.heart.org/goto/PS005HuguenotSchoolStatenIslandNYSeveral people have reached out to us indicating that they missed the deadline to purchase the yearbook. The yearbook company has agreed to re-open the website and allow purchases through February 15th. Please don't miss this extended opportunity! If you have any questions, please reach out to one of us. Thank you!Tracy Tessitore (917) 816-2156Nicole Barone (718) 344-8475
Yearbook reminders Yearbook 2022-2023.docx Yearbook Instructions 22-23.pdf
Spirit Shop is open now until November 22nd. Orders will be delivered around December 10th. https://ps5apparel.itemorder.com
Fifth Grade Pie Sale Order form was sent home, please check student backpacks. A copy can also be found on the website on PTA page.
Yearbook information was emailed and sent home, please check your emails & student backpacks.
PS 5 Share a Meal Project with Project Hospitality was emailed home.
Register for our upcoming PTA Meeting on October 13th at 4PM PTA Meeting Registration Link 10-13-22.docx
Picture order form- The student gallery is now active for PRE-PAY orders. Please see instructions below: www.YearbookInnovation.com Click on Order MYPHOTO Enter Keycode (Pre-pay code) : 23PS5UC Please have parents either print the receipt of the online order or write the confirmation number on their order form.
Important letters from Mrs. Arcuri and the SCA regarding when the closure of Deisius St will take effect Street Closing letter.docx dearneighbor5RAddition1 1.doc
Register for our upcoming PTA meeting on September 29th at 4PM PTA Meeting 9-29-22.docx
PS 5 Goes Gold 9/28/22 for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month September fundraiser - Childhood Cancer letter.docx
Start with Hello Week 9/19-9/23 Start With Hello - SEL letter to parents.docx
PS 5 Book Fair 10/6-10/7 PS 5 Scholastic Book Fair
PS 5 Back to School Ferryhawks Event 9/16/22 Ferryhawks Information
Bus Schedule for 2022-23 Bus times and stops for 2022 2023.docx
Operoo Notice Operoo.docx
Notice of digital parent handbook and supply drop off day Letter to Parents June 29th.docx
Morning Care Morning Care Letter
*Order your PS 5 Gear Here https://ps5apparel.itemorder.com(*store closes on 9/20/22)
Mrs. Arcuri's Messages
2. Dear PS 5 Families,
1. Welcome back PS 5 families! We cannot wait to see you all on Thursday, September 8th. Please read this letter in its entirety as some of the information had to change from our previous correspondence. First, this year’s SBO (School Based Option) which teachers voted on in June, has changed our arrival and dismissal time for the 2022-2023 school year. All students begin school at 8:30 am, with breakfast available at 8:15 am. Doors will not open for student arrival until 8:15 am. We realize the inconvenience for families who need an earlier option and have created a self-sustaining Morning Care program. We have already sent out a survey to the entire PS 5 community to gauge interest and have contacted those interested. We currently have 25 children signed up. Morning care can begin as early as 7:00 am but you can drop your children off any time between 7 am and 8:15 am.
Earlier this summer we emailed the new arrival and dismissal plan (outlined below) to our families.
- On the first day of school ONLY, Kindergarten children will begin school at 9 am. All other days they will begin at 8:30 am.
- Kindergarten children will come in DOOR 2 (middle door) located in the front of Deisius Street. Parents will not be allowed to walk into the building with the children. We will have many friendly faces/staff to greet the children to help them in and guide them to their classroom.
- Dismissal for KINDERGARTEN students is at 2:40 pm each day. This will alleviate much of the congestion that will be at the front of the building since we can no longer use the schoolyard.
- All other students in grades 1-5 will be dismissed at 2:50 pm each day at their designated area/door.
- GRADE 1 children will arrive and dismiss from Door 2 which is in the middle of the building on Deisius Street.
- GRADE 2 children will arrive and dismiss from Door 3 which is on Deisius Street and the corner of Stecher Street.
- GRADE 3 children will arrive and dismiss from Door 1 which is on Deisius Street and the corner of Kingdom Avenue.
- GRADES 4 & 5 children will arrive and dismiss from Door 4 located on Kingdom Ave.
- Morning Care students who have registered and paid for morning care will enter the building through Door 1.
Please remember to have your child’s supplies labeled. We have a committee that will be delivering supplies to your child’s classroom. Additionally, if anyone wants to drop off their child’s supplies earlier than the first day, you can do it between 9:30 am and 1 pm on Tuesday, August 30th and Wednesday, August 31st.
As you know, the new addition is preventing us from using any part of the schoolyard. I have diligently tried to obtain some/any space for us to use in the back of the school and have been denied. We have spent this summer planning on ways for our children to be outside. The application for OPEN STREETS has been submitted as we are hoping to get approved for the closure of Deisius Street (front of school) for the children to use for PE and recess. For this reason, no cars will be able to drive in front of the school at arrival and dismissal. Since there will be no Stop and Drop and limited parking, please plan accordingly.
I am working with the builder to keep the small jungle gym for our younger ones. We will also have the area on the side of Kingdom Ave/Deisius Street and are moving the sheds to create more space. Thank you so much to our PTA for supporting us with making sure that the children will get outside as much as possible.
Mrs. Arcuri & Ms. Cusumano